When you think of dentures, you might imagine an unnatural, fake looking smile or think of teeth loosely bouncing around in someone’s mouth. If this is your impression of dentures in Michigan City, we want you to know that things have changed!
Today’s dentures are far more advanced than those of the past and modern technology has made dentures better fitting, easier to wear, and more natural looking.
People often opt for dentures in Michigan City to replace their missing teeth. Oftentimes as we age, we begin to lose our natural teeth to cavities, gum disease, and/or injury. Many people find that with dentures, they can speak more clearly and eat more easily.
Additionally, dentures are often chosen for cosmetic reasons. People who are self-conscious about their missing teeth may prefer the look of dentures. When there is significant tooth loss, the face tends to sag and appear older. Dentures can restore a more youthful appearance, making this one of the more popular reasons to get dentures.
Dentures in Michigan City are an ideal solution if you have lost some of your natural teeth and want to regain the self-confidence that comes with an attractive smile. However, many people do not realize just how much care is required if you want to avoid damaging your dentures and want to keep them looking good.
Read on to discover six important facts that you need to know about keeping your dentures in perfect condition.
1) You should clean your dentures at least twice a day. If you adhere to a strict routine and clean your dentures twice a day, you will be much less likely to develop oral infections and inflamed gums. In addition, you will be helping to combat decay and thereby reducing your chances of losing more teeth.
2) There is a right way to clean your dentures. The first step is to carefully remove any food residue by brushing your dentures with denture cleaning paste. Then you need to soak the dentures in a dissolvable denture cleaner. Finally, we recommend brushing the dentures one more time after they have been soaked.
3) There are products that can damage dentures. If you have dentures with a soft lining, you will need to buy a denture cleaner that specifically states that it will not damage this lining. If you have chosen metal dentures, you will also need to browse the available denture cleaners to make sure that you pick one that is designed to clean metal.
4) Lifestyle changes can help to prevent denture staining. You can reduce the likelihood of severe denture staining by making sure that you do not drink too many caffeinated products and limiting your intake of red wine. If your dentures are becoming extremely discolored, you should contact your dentist regarding a professional denture cleaning.
5) You need to have a night care routine for your dentures. It is important to remove your dentures when you go to sleep, as keeping them in overnight can cause gum inflammation and promote a yeast infection. During the night, you leave your dentures soaking in a suitable cleaner in order to prevent warping or cracking.
6) Your dentist can help you with denture hygiene. Keep in mind that your dentist has an important role to play when it comes to keeping your dentures in good condition. You should have the dentures in Michigan City checked at regular appointments, as your dentist will be able to tell whether there is a tartar build up that needs to be professionally removed.
So how do you know if dentures in Michigan City are right for you? It’s simple! Just call today to schedule an appointment at our office, and we will evaluate your dental needs and make a recommendation. We look forward to seeing you!